Bottling, Thrifting and Christmas

Wednesday, December 11, 2013


This bread is the perfect collision of bottling, thrifting, and Christmas.  

First the bottling - Our little quince tree gave us 3 quinces this year.  They became a preserved concoction of roasted quince meat (like fruit mince, only mostly quince).  It taste's a little like a very grown up version of strudel.  I can quite happily eat it straight from the jar.


Then the thrifting - I found a breadmaker at a recent garage sale.  At $10 with a "it might not work" caveat I wasn't expecting much.  I found a copy of the manual online and 3 loaves of bread later, the bread maker has more than paid for itself.


Finally, the Christmas - With a surplus of quince meat, 3 pints to be precise,I'm on the lookout for recipes to use it up.  This braided loaf recipe was in the bread maker manual.  I had my fingers crossed behind my back expecting disaster but it was brilliant.  It tasted even better on day 2 and 3, which is a little unusual in my experience of home made bread.


Now I only have 2 1/2 pints of Quince Meat to go, any ideas?



You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I've never had quince, so this might be a disaster. :) However, I immediately thought of this recipe from my mother-in-law. She makes it with apple in the middle.

    Mix these ingredients:
    8 tablespoons butter
    4 tablespoons white sugar
    1 egg
    2 cups flour
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    Mix it together with a pastry blender or fork until it is crumbly. Put half of this mixture in an 8 inch x 8 inch baking pan and press it down firmly. Spread the quince on top (she uses canned apple pie filling). Sprinkle the rest of the flour/butter mixture on top. Bake at 325-350 (F) for 35-40 minutes. After it cools (in the pan) cut it into squares.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day. I would love to hear from you.

Search This Blog

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *