We Make Dolls Too!!

Tuesday, October 02, 2012


I am loving "We Make Dolls" by Jenny Doh.  Now, I am not one to post review without trying a pattern or two.  As case would have it, two daughters, means two dolls.  There were sketches left lying around the house, with explicit instruction about colours and accessories.

This book profiles 10 ladies who make dolls - be they softies, jointeed bears or needle felting. I liked the way a range of styles were profiled.  I can finally put a name to the designer whose dolls keep catching my eye on pinterest - that would be Mimi Kirchner.  I love her tattooed ladies and woollen dolls.

My kids on the other hand were taken with the designs of Ana Fernandes.  The dolls above were based on her Estefania pattern that can be found in the book.  With a little tweaking, the dolls looked more like the collection of dolls E & H were coveting from the contents page.  My kids were frustrated by the teasers photos of dolls for which there was no pattern .  On the other hand I thought they helped to show the scope of each artists' talent.

The patterns in the book were easy to follow, with full size patterns for tracing at the back.  There is also a how to section at the front of the book that starts you off in the right foot - tools you need, some basic techniques etc. The break down of methods and materials is not as comprehensive as some books I have seen, but I feel it is all you need to start out.  You can move onto other books for more methods as your interests guide you.

All up, I would recommend this book.  It doesn't steal my heart like Hilliary Lang's Wee Wonderfuls.  However, this book is a wide survey of all that is wonderful in the world of making dolls and a really good place to start.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I love these dolls. I will be looking for the book now. Thanks for the review. Sometimes it's hard to get good patterns that kids can work on easily.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day. I would love to hear from you.

Search This Blog

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *