Crafty Book Review – Simple Sewing by Lotta Jansdotter

Tuesday, March 22, 2011



Simple Sewing by Lotta Jansdotter

First impression:
This book is beautiful in both it’s simplicity and elegance. There are no fussy details or over the top embellishment. I love the clean lines and fabrics used throughout this book.

Format:
The book contains 24 project divided in sections headed cook, go, nest, organize. There is a very brief glossary at the back and a comprehensive index.

What I like:
Above all else, I love the simplicity of this book. It has me wanting to search out more from Lotta Jansdotta. I am very tempted to try her book on printing.

What I’d pass on:
Some the designs just don’t look practical, but could work with a little tweaking. The cell phone pocket on the yoga mat tote just needs a closure to make sure you don’t loose your phone the first time you pick it up. The garden tote looks handy, but given the dirt bound nature of gardening, perhaps oil cloth would be a better material. As with any design, it might just pay to think through each project before you start.

What I’d like to try:
I was excited about the hat. I had seen references to it over at Hazelnuts. So I consequently gave it a try. While the pattern is marked level 3, it would need a few more diagrams for the beginner sewer to tackle it. I found myself needing to notch and ease the connection between the brim and crown. It’s a great looking hat and would probably look great made out of a simple linen print. Sometimes it can be a little tricky to peer out from under. I found the brim too wide and next time would make it a little narrower at the back.

The other pattern I’d love to try is the door stop. It really is time that I retired the olive oil can that holds the laundry door open. Amongst my friends who pored over the book with me, at least two were also keen to try this pattern.

Would I buy it?
In this case, no I wouldn’t buy it, but it does have me looking out for other great things by the same author.

Who I’d recommend it to:
I’d recommend it to someone beginning to sew who had access to friends that could help when things get stuck. There is not enough detail for some of the techniques to stand alone. I would also recommend it to someone returning to sewing, who wanted short and simple projects that will inspire them to stick with it.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I agree, the styling on this book is just lovely, but some of the patterns are way off.
    I made her hat, and it was *dreadful*. I had to trim down the rim to see over it, but even that was no good.
    Still, the pictures and ideas are lovely, and great inspiration for your own projects.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day. I would love to hear from you.

Search This Blog

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *