Using up the Leftovers - Gretchen Quilt

Wednesday, January 14, 2009


After finishing the Grandmother's fan quilt I had some left over 1930's reproduction fabrics. This pattern really caught my eye and I had to try it. Of course it meant that I needed more fabric. Because the reproductions ranges don't have many dark prints, there are some sneaky substitutions too.

The pattern is a traditional block called Gretchen. While it is usually a two tone pattern, I really like the treatment of the inner pinwheels in red and white, which I first saw in an Australian quilting magazine some years ago.


In many ways, this is a journey quilt. This quilt was started in 2005 while I lived in Auckland. The boarders were sewn on while I lived in Wellington in 2006 and the binding finished after moving again and Little e's arrival in 2007.

I'd love to say that the fabrics were vintage, however they are all reproductions. Even if I had the real thing, I don't think I could bring myself to cut them up.

The quilting isn't mine either. I've had it done by Debbie from Quilter's Lane in Masterton. I'm still working on my free motion quilting. I'm really pleased with how it has come out. If I recall correctly, the quilting pattern was called tulips.

The blue quilt is almost finished. I promise I will get the pictures up as soon as it is washed and ready. I have even had a go at stippling on the blue quilt too.

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. Hi Amy, Your quilt looks great! I love those colours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really lovely. The pinwheels really pop. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, may I just say how beautiful all these quilts are? You must have been very busy lately. The fabrics and the patterns are just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Impressive. It really does look good and it IS quite effective with the red and white inner pinwheel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colours you used!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy, you are so talented, beautiful. xx

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day. I would love to hear from you.

Search This Blog

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *